Drive high poly skinned meshes with low poly soft bodies using Bullet Physics. The full tutorial is available here.
It has been a busy couple of weeks working on EVA Infinity and I am excited to update people on the progress. The past two weeks have been about cleaning up details. First, the ‘programmer artwork’ for the level loading bar has been replaced with a more polished progress bar. More importantly, the throw animations have been fixed. The only means of thrust in the game is to throw objects. There were problems with the throw animation which made it hard to understand what was happening. The thrown objects would not be released at the correct moment, the objects moved too quickly and were too small. I fixed all of these and was immediately surprised how much better the game felt. The last week has been spent experimenting with Nebulas. It is surprisingly difficult generating nice looking Nebulas. My first experiments used a particle simulation and forces to generate a tornado, and convert it to a mesh. It looked fantastic in Blender with a subsurface scattering shader, but sadly there was no way to bring it into Unity with reasonable performance. The solution that worked was to create layers of transparent surfaces at different depths with custom lightmaps and masks. Animating these different layers gives a wonderful effect. I am still looking for a way to have the nebulas interact with lighting. The next goals will be to put a beta test together.
The summer is over, autumn has arrived, and it is time to get back to work. The summer was busier than expected. Mesh Baker was included in a two-week madness sale on the Unity Asset Store. This was a fabulous opportunity, but one that has kept me busy for a month responding to support and feature requests. EVA Infinity has been Greenlit! This is huge news for me since this will be my first game on Steam. I have been working on EVA Infinity for two years so getting the thumbs up from the Steam community feels amazing! With the recent Mesh Baker sale I have been slow to respond, but I have finally succeeded in clearing away the mountain of work so I can focus on game development again. I spent the last few days polishing the prediction path. The old prediction line would explode wildly if it came too close to gravity source and did not have a high enough resolution. Both of these problems have been fixed. I also upgraded the Bullet Physics library to be up to date with my latest version in github. My goal for the next few weeks is to get EVA Infinity out to some closed beta testers.